Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Story

I used to be in shape... really, I did. I don't know what happened between then and now, but I don't like it and would really like my old body back. I'm hoping the "30 lbs in 30 days" weight loss trial with Dax Moy is going to help me with that.

I'm 38 (quickly closing on 39) and had a baby in February of this year. I'm at my personal highest weight and lowest point emotionally. I WANT to be in shape... I'm struggling with how to get back there.

There are MANY reasons I signed on to do the challenge. And yes, I BEGGED to be in this challenge so I'm in it for the long haul. My biggest reason? Well, keeping the cancer at bay.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 34. The tumor measured 5CM in size according to all the scans. My oncologist suggested double mastectomy, chemo and then radiation prior to the surgery. He was cool enough to "allow" me to work with my naturopath while I awaited the surgery.

We changed my diet, no processed foods, lots of juicing and fresh greens and fruits. There was a fair bit of supplementation as well but it worked! When they finally did the mastectomy, I had 3 small tumors, all less than 1CM in size each. It can't be proven, but I'm sure the good eating assisted my body in breaking up the tumor. My lymph nodes were also clear so I escaped chemo AND radiation. I got off scott free basically.

So, you'd think I'd continue to eat that way? Well, its sad to say how quickly I went back to my old eating habits.

So, reason #1... lets keep cancer at bay.

Reason #2. I have food issues. If I don't eat every few hours, I become a raging "beyotch" (sorry hubby). My dad has adult onset diabetes and I fear I'm heading the same direction unless I turn things around. Dad had kidney cancer as well, see a pattern?

Reason #3. I have systemic candida. Mine manifests in many ways but the skin eczema is the one that bothers me the most. I have 2 current outbreaks... one my my shin which I'll monitor for this diet and the other... well, lets say its not comfy and it will NOT be photographed for this, LOL.l

Reason #4. My hair falls out at an alarming rate, my nails are brittle and splitting and the eczema. I know its all related to diet and my gut. Can I have pretty skin, nails and hair back please?

Reason #5. This one is the most superficial. I'd like to compete again in Figure. I did several competitions between the ages of 29 and 33. I have not competed since having breast cancer. I'd like to gain control over my eating and get back on stage. 30lbs puts me basically at competition weight.

Anyway, wow, long post. I'm happy to meet everyone and to join such a determined group of people. Now let's all kick some butt and drop some stubborn bodyfat!!!!

4 comments:

  1. You have some great goals - thanks for sharing! Best of luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I'm proud!! You know I'm behind you all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post - look forward to seeing the figure pics!!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete